Friday, September 9, 2016

Queen Victoria

Over this last weekend, I found myself in the company of two beautiful old sconces. Okay, okay, I've had them since spring break. I just couldn't find the perfect spot for them! But then I realized, who says that they have to be traditional, on either side of a fireplace like this?


My sconces were gorgeous, and I had a perfect empty space for the two of them. Yup, that's right. I put them next to each other. As in, directly next to each other. Like, probably breaking a whole bunch of rules and making tradionalists everywhere hate me. But I say they count as art, and art can be whatever you want it to be. And I happen to love my sconces next to each other.




The sconces are brass, and let me tell you, they are extremely heavy. If you were watching me try to hang these up with my little drill, you probably would have fallen over from laughing so hard...


They were meant to be used with candlelight, and some hours worth light searching uncovered that they are almost definitely of the late Victorian era. Although I could be completely wrong because the internet is sometimes that uncle who makes stuff up but acts like he knows everything like the kind that you see on television. So now, if you'll excuse me, I will be admiring the soft candle light that's illuminating my room with warm rays of light. Just kidding, I don't actually have candles in it. And also I'm writing this in the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment